See Reference Books
|Type of monument||:|
|Built by||: King Anawrahta|
|Date||: 12th Century|
Tantkyi Taung or the Tantkyi hill is located on the western side of Ayeyarwaddy River in Pakokku District, Magway Region which falls on the other side of Bagan. On the Tantkyi Hill lies a Pagoda and is known as the Tantkyi Taung Pagoda. The Tantkyi Taung Pagoda was built during A.D 1059 by King Anawrahta. King Vizaraba from Sri Lanka donated one of Buddha’s tooth relic and King Anawrahta duplicated with another one and embedded in the sacred place inside this pagoda.
There are 32 statues of elephants made in ratio to different directions at the base of the pagoda. It is an octagonal shaped designed platform on which the pagoda resides.
It takes about half a day to travel and visit this place. There are ferries carrying visitors across the Ayeyarwaddy river, every early morning.
There is a saying that if one could go and pay homage to Shwezigon pagoda, Tantkyi Taung pagoda, Tuyin Taung pagoda and Lawka Nanda pagoda in a single day, a wish comes true.
Glimpses of Glorious Bagan, Universities Historical Research Centre, Yangon, Myanmar, The University Press, 1996
Pictorial Guide to Pagan, Ministry of Culture, Yangon, Myanmar, The Printing and Publish Corporation, Reprint 1975
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan, Vol. 1, Translated by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1995
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan , Vol. 2, English Text by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1998Return to Top