See Reference Books
|Type of monument||Type IV Temple (Sinhalese)|
|Location||North of Lawkanandar Pagoda|
|Region||Thiripyitsaya & Bagan Myo Thit|
|Built by||King Anwarahta|
|Monument Number||(1030/ 420) (1031/ 421)|
East & West Petleik Pagoda (1,030/ 420), (1,031/ 421)
The two Petleik pagodas-the Ashe (Eastern) and Anauk (Western) – belong to the 11th century and have been assigned to the reign of Anawrahta (1044-1077). They are rather similar in form, but the Eastern pagoda is larger, in girth as well as in height. The name Petleik, ” Rolled Leaves”, probably derives from the resemblance in shape of the dome and the finial to ear ornaments made of rolled gold leaves.
The Western pagoda is better preserved and has a bell-shaped dome, with rings of moulding at the middle and towards the base. An unusual feature of the dome are the four deep niches at the cardinal points to house images of the Buddha. A damaged bowl-shaped disc rests on the dome in the Western pagoda, while in the Eastern pagoda a box-like relic chamber occupies the corresponding position. The finial which rises above is in the form of a truncated cone.
Petleik (East & West) (Google Map)
Glimpse of Glorious Bagan, Universities Historical Research Centre, Yangon, Myanmar, The University Press, 1996
Pictorial Guide to Pagan, Ministry of Culture, Yangon, Myanmar, The Printing and Publish Corporation, Reprint 1975
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan, Vol. 1, Translated by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1995
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan , Vol. 2, English Text by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1998Return to Top