|Type of monument||Type II Temple|
|Location||North of Manuha|
|Region||Nyaung U & Wetkyi-In|
|Built by||King Narathihapati|
|Date||A D 1277|
|Monument Number||1439/ 752|
Mingala Zedi Pagoda (1439/ 752)
Mingala zedi is situated on the west of the road leading to Myin Kaba village. Its shape resembles that ofShwezigon. King Narathihapate built it in A D 1284 on the model of Shwezigon Pagoda. The only difference between it and Shwezigon is that it was built upon a brick platform.
The surrounding small stupas are decorated with glazed bricks of green and yellow colours. On the three terraces are found beautiful glazed plaques depicting in relief 550 Jataka stories, adorning the structure.
On the eastside of the brick platform are square plaques, figurines of devas paying homage to the Pagoda; On the southern side are found figures of ogres coming to offer devotional gifts to the Pagoda; on the western side are found figures of Nagas with devotional gifts to offer to the Pagoda; and on the northern side square plaques depicting garudas coming to offer devotional gifts to the Pagoda.
In the spacious precinct there used to be many Kala Kyaung monasteries. Many have now fallen into ruin. Few that still stand are in good condition. At the north-east corner there is a small pagoda on Ceylonese model.
Mingalazedi (Google Map)
Glimpse of Glorious Bagan, Universities Historical Research Centre, Yangon, Myanmar, The University Press, 1996
Pictorial Guide to Pagan, Ministry of Culture, Yangon, Myanmar, The Printing and Publish Corporation, Reprint 1975
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan, Vol. 1, Translated by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1995
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan , Vol. 2, English Text by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1998Return to Top