This museum is situated on the south of Gawdaw Palin Pagoda. It was first opened on the first October 1979. Except On Mondays and gazetted public holidays it is open daily between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
The old archeological museum is on the north of Ananda Temple. It is quite close to the precinct of the Temple. It was established in 1904. Because it was congested with many new acquisitions, a new modern museum was needed. So in 1967 the construction of a new modern museum began. It is a complex of one octagonal main structure in which archeological objects are to be displayed and three big open sheds in which stone inscriptions are to be set up.
In the center of the octagon is the inscribed stone pillar With four faces, each face bearing inscription in a different language— Pyu, Mon, Myanmar and Pali. This pillar is known HS Yaza Kuma stone Inscription. It is a very important source Bagan history. Dolomite plaques depicting Jataka stories, bronze figures of lotus flowers, broken pieces of fresco are on display in the show cases.
Archaeological Museum (Google Map)
Glimpse of Glorious Bagan, Universities Historical Research Centre, Yangon, Myanmar, The University Press, 1996
Pictorial Guide to Pagan, Ministry of Culture, Yangon, Myanmar, The Printing and Publish Corporation, Reprint 1975
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan, Vol. 1, Translated by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1995
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan, Vol. 2, English Text by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1998Return to Top