See Reference Books
|Type of monument||Type III Temple|
|Location||North of Minnanthu village|
|Built by||King Kyanzittha|
|Date||A D 1102|
This Pagoda is situated south of Myin Kaba village by the side of the tar road to new Bagan town.
Before Kyansittha became king, he had to flee and hide himself from his enemy King Saw Lu. While he was hiding at the place where Nagayon Paya now is, his queen Abeyadana brought food to him. When he became king he built this Pagoda in honour of his queen. The Pagoda was built on the very place where she brought food for him. The ink inscription inside Thet-taw
shey Pagoda on the south-east, records the history of Abeyadana Pagoda.
Judging by the shape of the Pagoda’s base which is that of Kalatha pot, its curvilinear roof, mural paintings and the window style, we may say for certain that it was a structure of early A D 11 th century.
The zedi on the top is of Ceylonese design. It is a well-proportioned cave pagoda (temple) facing north. It is one of those monuments famous for their fine frescos.
The striking feature of its frescos is that the pictures on the inner wall depict Maha-yana, Theravada Buddhist and Brahmanic episodes. Devas and their vehicles were also pre-sented in the pictures.
The mural paintings of Bodhisatta found on the wall inside Abeyadana Temple, A.D 11th Century
The stucco curving depicted on the upper terraces of Abeyadana Temple.
Abeyadana Temple (Google Map)
Glimpse of Glorious Bagan, Universities Historical Research Centre, Yangon, Myanmar, The University Press, 1996
Pictorial Guide to Pagan, Ministry of Culture, Yangon, Myanmar, The Printing and Publish Corporation, Reprint 1975
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan, Vol. 1, Translated by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1995
The Pagodas and Monuments of Bagan, Vol. 2, English Text by Dr Khin Maung Nyunt, Ministry of Information, Yangon, Myanmar, Graphic Training Centre (G.T.C), 1998Return to Top